The Last Week (Addition Teaching Day): Day 22, 23, & 24 "Awareness"


September 3rd-5th, 2018
The last week! Oh No.... This was my last week guys! L well I was thought to made my practicum done but I was dilemma because when my practicum done it’s mean that I’ve to go back to Indonesia and I’ve to left the school also the students. That thougth made me sad, it just like for a while ago I’ve been getting closer with the students. Anyway we’ll talk about the farewell later, it’s just made the hole of my heart before the time.
By the way, since this was my last week that actually became my reflection week. But because of the materials of the topic that I had taught was not complete yet and I haven’t gave the students the summative test for got the assessment of the students. So that in my last week my mentor added my teaching day by let me taught the students for more three days. And the two days left for my reflection day and farewell day with the students. But actually my mentor always gave me the reflection of my performance every classes ended, so I thought that was fine.
From this week, I constantly taught 9-SJF Class, 9-BJHS Class and 9-FAB Class. unfortunately I couldn’t taught all the students because of it was also hard for me to handle all the class, then Mam Esie just let me taught for three classes.
My Day 22 was became my third day for taught the students. For first section, I was entered 9-SJF Class, second section was 9-BJHS Class, and the last section I was taught was 9-FAB Class. I was continue the lesson in those three classes.
In 9-SJF class I was continue explained the non-perfect square root and also I tried to explained to them the non-perfect cube root because my mentor told me to tried to gave them the problem of  cube root. It’s kind like to upgrade their thinking how to solved the new problem with the same way to solved it, that was by used the rule product of radicals. But fortunately they could solve it correctly when I gave them an example the students shouted the answers together. Then I gave them partner work (the questions are in day 2 of lesson plan but I gave them in the third day because of the time that not enough in day 2) and asked the students to answer in the board after they discuss it with their seatmate. As usual they active to answer it on the board, then gave them the clarification. Lastly before ended the class I gave them an assignment and reminded them to study at home because of the next day I would like to gave them individual exercise. Well most of them were complained but I wanted to see their comprehension, were they already understood or not so then I could gave them the summative test to recorded their score.
Then in 9-BJHS, I couldn’t explained the non-perfect square because of the time. The seriously enemy for me was the time. So in the class I just could checked the students homework together and gave the more example about the previous lesson and give them more exercises because I thought that they still need exercise of the perfect square root.
The exercise was not in the lesson plan, I made it for the class that might need more exercises. Here was the exercise that I gave to the students.
The last number of the exercise was non-perfect square root form, I did it on purpose to introduced it to them before I explained it. So I could see they could solve it or not, then I’ll began to explained the case of non-perfect square root. I gave them the time for did the exercise but again the time was over, so I told them to continue it at home.
In 9-FAB class, I did the same in BJHS. Recalled the previous lesson then we checked the homework together. So I gave them also more examples and give them another exercise for group work and it was same like the exercise that I was gave to 9-BJHS class before and that was also became the assignment.
After the class ended, as usual Mam Esie gave me the comment/reflection of my performance today.
Here are the comment:



In the next day was my day 23, still in the same topic. Well today there was different, I had new partner of practicum that was another student teacher that also did her practicum in USC- Basic Education South Campus, She was student of University of San Carlos. Her Name is Miss Pitogo. This day was the first day of her practicum, so she would join the class that I taught because her mentor also Mam Esie. I’m glad to see her, we’ll also talked each other, sharing about my practicum, the students, also our difficulties during the practicum. Actually she had another practicum before coming to USC-BED south campus and she was transferred here.

Started in 9-SJF Class, I gave them individual exercise but before it I checked their homework. Asked them that they did it or not. Fortunately they did it, and I point some students that rarely raise their hand to wrote their work on the board. After that I gave them individual exercise, not let them asking to theor other friends just like gave them a quiz to check their comprehension. After the time over, I asked them to pass their answer sheet and I brought it to checked their work.
Here was the the individual exercise that I gave to the students. I was not gave the comprehension check question from the lesson plan because I thougth that was too hard for the students and I’ve been consul with my mentor first. And the questions were consist perfect square and cube root also non-perfect square and cube root.


            For 9-BJHS and 9-FAB Class, I already taught about the non-perfect square root. Then I gave them partner work (the questions were in the lesson plan of the day 2). The students were took part of the activity and When I observed the students I aware that there were some students still feeling confused of the materials, then I approached them and gave them more explanation and gave them the clarification about the things that still made them confused. I hope that my explanation really-really helped them more.
            Again and again I was late dismiss the class even that I haven’t checked the student’s work. Excepted that I was got another problem when I taught 9-BJHS and 9-FAB Class, they were too noisy when discussion time or when I gave them exercise. But I thought that was challenge for me how to manage the class like that. My mentor also gave me an advice that I have to take action how to manage the students. I to be explicit to the students and that time I have to reminded them about the house rule that I told them before. This was the way to invest the feeling of discipline. Flow with the time did my practicum here, the more I aware that to be a teacher not easy as well as it look.
Today Mam Esie was not gave her comment, she just gave the reflection orally especially about the time and also about how to manage the students that too noisy. And I was consul about the last day that I would taught the students. Because I thought that I could not finished my goal in 9-BJHS Class and 9-FAB Class, But I thought I could finished it in 9-SJF class. My mentor said that was fine, I could continue taught them although it would not finished and she would continue the materials that I haven’t finished. And Mam Esie told me to gave them more drill exercises. So I was thought to gave them game, to made the learning proses became more fun and made them motivated to won the game. But I still haven’t knew about the game that I would gave them that time.

            The night before the last day, I was checked the answers of individual exercise that I given to 9-SJF class also prepared the things that I planned of to made a game that related with the lesson.
            I was surprised with the score of the students, most of them got got 1/10, also there were got 2/10, 3/10, 4/10, and the highest was 5/10. I was review again the questions that I gave to them, and I analyzed it. And I found that may be the time that I gave them to answer it was too short and also the questions were too many for the time that I provided. I could just found the clear problem that made them couldn’t answer it after I got the clarification from them.

Here is one of the answer sheet of the 9-SJF student:

That night I was thoughtful of the game that I would gave, found the idea of the interesting game. I even contact my friend from Lombok to got an Idea. Then fortunately, Adit my classmate was gave me an Idea about the game. Ooohh Thank you Adit..!! J it’s so helped me. There was a reason why I didn’t followed my lesson plan for the game. I’ll explain it later.
For the game, I prepared of 40 little sheet that the question on it, but I just made 20 different questions. I also made the answers on another little sheet, so I made total 80 little sheet. I divided the 40 sheet  became 20 : 20, 20 one I would gave to the students in the left side and another 20 were for the right side, so it would prevent the student got the same question. I put it in two little plastic glasses and I would asked the student to took it one sheet for each student. Then who could answer it faster and correctly also find their answer on another sheet that I’ve provided then I gave them reward. For who the faster and got the answer I asked them wrote the solution on the board so their friends would knew the question. That was the concept of the game. Excepted the game I was also prepared another individual exercise for 9-SJF class and planned to gave them after the game.
Question Sheets and answer sheets of the game
Well, the last day that I’ve not really waited for was coming and I’m ready to slay this day. The first section absolutely 9-SJF class, I was entered the class with the answers sheet. I saw strain condition in the class. After pray, greeting and checked the attendance, I announced their score about the last individual exercise that I gave before. Some of them were also looked surprised and the others just quiet seems like they knew their problem. Then to made clear what actually they did not understood about the lesson, I asked them to asking about their confusion and their difficulties. And finally one by one they told me their difficulties, some of them feeling difficult in the non-perfect square root or non-perfect cube root because of they thought hard to found the perfect factor of the radicands or it’s because they unfamiliar with the perfect square root/perfect cube root and some of them just careless when calculated the final answer. So I gave them more explanation and gave them the clarification. I hope that made more clear their comprehension.
Then this was the time for the game, I explained to them about the concept. Most of them excited because of I talked about the reward that I would gave. As like I said before that the students here were very competitive. Then I distributed the little sheet questions and they got one for each student. Before they answer it I asked them to close the question till I distributed it to all the students so they could answer it in the same time. When all the students got the question then I instructed them began to answer it. After a moment there were already students raise their hand and want to answer it. The class began sensational because of they snatch away to found the answer sheet. All the students participated well, I’m so happy to see it. Then who was found it they wrote the solution on the board. There were some of students already wrote the solution, so I stop the section and examined their work together. So it’s time gave the winner the reward. I was brought chain keys from Lombok and made it as the reward for 3 students who’s the fastest. And I appreciated the other students by gave them a snack (it’s like chocolate spongecake). Regretfully I couldn’t documented the moment. After that section, I gave them once more individual exercise and easier than before. I hope that from more explanation and after the game they would more understood.
I asked them to pass the answer sheet when the time was over and I brought it for checked it. Hope their score was better. Ended the class, I confirmed to them that this day was my last day for teaching them. But no worried because I could still met them till Friday. Some of them looked sad because of my announcement. I heard their complaining that they still want I teach them. Ah so sweet, I was very happy heard that. I told them to got the proper farewell on Friday. After in 9-SJF class ended, my mentor gave the last comment for me and little bit reflection about her comment. She commented of the gave that I did. She said that was good and I have positive attitude also the students responded it positively. But that was not quite effective because of all the students couldn’t answer it on the board even they answer it on their own sheet but it couldn’t checked by the teacher, so we couldn’t guarantee that they really understood or not although they said the did understood. I got the point what Mam Esie want to explain to me. And I did aware of my weakness. So that was good advice for me to repaired myself in the future.

Here is the last comment:

       Good news!! After I gave the last individual exercise for 9-SJF class and I checked it, most of them could answer it more than half of all the questions although there were still got low score. I'm so proud of them. Here was one of the student answer sheet.
Lance got 7/10
The next section were 9-BJHS and 9-FAB class. I continue the lesson, still gave them problem for group discussion because I thought they were not ready yet to got individual exercise. I tried gave them questions that I made for individual exercise in 9-SJF class. And the fact they still confused. I tried to explained it slowly because I really want they understand what I taught of. And again tried to asked them about their confusion and their difficulties. So the class go on until the class ended. Regregfully I couldn’t finished my lesson in 9-BJHS and 9-FAB class. But from this class I really learn much about students. Ended the class, I told the same like in 9-SJF class about my last day teaching. They responded it also with the way made me touched.


Last day teaching in 9-BJHS Class

Three days addition teaching, I realized more deep about to be a teacher. It’s really quite hard became a teacher. You have to think what the student’s think, your have to understand their comprehesion, also you have to think the strategy of how you teach them because of their character are different so we need variety of strategy. And then you have the ability to manage the class, how you make them comfortable with you while you teaching but they still respect you as a teacher.
 I learnt much during my practicum. Especially about the strategy and about class management from my mentor. You know that although you have lesson plan, there were something you couldn’t denied that there must some things that you could not follow. Even you made lesson plan for 5 classes, there were possibly that you would apply different strategy in every classes. Like what my mentor did, example that she gave drill exercises in some classes but she did it in different way/strategy. I thought that was because she had to adjust with the student’s comprehension level. In the different classes of course they had different comprehension level.
I was also experienced the same. I was arranged my lesson plan for 5 days, but there was planned I didn’t followed. That was about used the laptop as media to gave them a game. I was changed the media by little sheet paper. I just thought because of the time problem I had, if I used the laptop it will more needed time to open it and connected it to the tv.  So it’s better to provided media that would be more effective. It was just my perspective but I was consul it with my mentor and she agreed with me. Time was my big enemy, in Indonesia I was became accustomed to teach around 2 hours for every meeting. So it’s hard adjusted the time. Well I’m still learn about it and it was became a lesson for me to work harder in my teaching career in the future.




Comments