Teaching Practice


TEACHING PRACTICE
1.      Lesson Plan
      Here is my lesson plan:
      




I got the topic “Properties of Radicals” for teaching the students. I was constantly taught 3 classes that was 9-SJF Class, 9-BJHS Class, and 9-FAB Class for 5 days. But I also taught 9-BMHS but just for one day because my mentor thought that was hard for me if I handle more than 3 classes a day. So she just gave 3 classes.

2.      Procedures of Teaching
I followed the lesson plan I already arranged. But actually there were some that not exactly arranged. Before I teach, my mentor guide me and lead me how I started the class and make sure gave the class of house rule. I started the class by greeting them and let them praying before study. I know this is the important habit so it actually could not be left in every class and always checked the attendance of the students. Before teaching I clarified my house rule to them.
My house rule are:
a.       Pay attention on teacher;
b.      Always asking;
c.       In discussion group, you not allowed to do it individually;
d.      Read the book at home. And I explained the rules to the students.
There were a reason why I gave them the rules, it’s coming when I was observed them in the first week. 
After that I introduced the topic that I will teach them, that was “Properties of Radicals” and clarified the learning objectives. Then before go to the main topic, I recall the previous lesson by gave them questions orally to the students to make sure they still remember it because it related with the topic I will teach, if they still remember so it will be easier to teach them. If they didn’t know the answer so I’ll be gave them the clarification.
After recall the lesson, I started gave them the group activity after gave them a little explanation. I did it on purpose so that the most participated in the class were students. Let them asking if they didn’t understood. Every discussion section, I’ll watched them and lead the students that asking or seem like they did not understand to answer the problem.
Besides the discussion, during 5 days teaching I also gave them the assignment, partner work, game (for drill exercises), individual exercises and comprehension check.

3.      Time Management and Organizing Activities
I was had a problem with the time management, because sometime I late dismiss the class. The day before I teaching, I always prepared and planned the activity that will I gave to the students included the arranged the time. But somehow it could not ran like my planning. Like in discussion group somehow I felt that the time never enough for them and they always asked for the addition time and sometime I gave them addition time for 1 or 2 minutes. But my mentor gave me an advice to affirm the time to the students. I had controlled the students not the other way. Flow with the time while learnt teach the students, I know how to manage the time.
For organizing activity, I did it well I guess. I could trigger them to be active in the class. Basically they were active and confidents students, so most of them always raise their hand to answer the questions when I gave them the question. But to make fair and I also want to see the other students to answer the questions, sometime I point the student that rare or not raise their hand to make sure they understand the lesson even though they were not raise their hand. And I always make sure that when in discussion group everyone have to be involved in the activity. That was one of my house rule that they not allowed to do it by themselves when in discussion group.

4.      Problem Solving
The subject might consist of problem-solving. I gave them the problem so I will know so they understand or not about the lesson that I had taught them. And I let them solved the problem by group discussion or partner work or drill exercises. After they discuss it with their friends, I’ll let the representative of each group to answer one questions on the board for each group. Every group will explain the solution of their answer while the other group listen their explanation. Other groups that listen to their students will gave their comment if there was something unclear. After they commented each other, I gave them the clarification of the solution which one the correct answer.
Every exercises, assignment, quiz, or group discussion in the end. We checked it together and gave the students clarification. So the student will know their mistakes.

5.      Classroom Management
Every started class, sometime when I felt that the class like in a mess. Before let them take their seat, I asked them to arranged their chair and make it in a line. In case 9-SJF class, the students were so calm and easier to manage. But in case 9-BJHS and 9-FAB Class, I had to made out more power to teach them especially strengthen the volume of my voice. They sometime noisy when the discussion section, when that time came I remind them about my house rule. And they do understood it and respect me and followed my rule. I did understood that was normal if they were noisy when discussion time because they had to talk each other but when I think they too much that time I reprimanded them. But fortunately they were not really hard to handle, if we I told them once to keep silent or not too noisy the will directly in silent.
From this experience, I realized that really hard to be a teacher. You have to teach the students while you also have to manage the time, the class and organizing the activity.

Comments