Teaching Week: Day 16, 17, 18 "Feeling of the True Teacher"

 August 28th – 30th, 2018

My teaching week is coming!!! Wow, feeling nervous hah?? Yes I am….!! I couldn’t believe that this was my third week in University of San Carlos, Cebu City Philippines. The day I have to teach the students, I hope that I could teach them as well as my mentor did.
The first day of this week that was Tuesday because of Monday was off day for school to commemorate the National Heroes Day in Philippines. The first day, I am not started to teaching yet because of Mam Esie said that she have to finished the topic before going to the topic that I would teach. Then I just did assistance and observing the students meanwhile Mam Esie teaching. The end of this day, my mentor told me that I just could taught two classes in the next day because of three classes were not finished the topic yet. Also Mam Esie did not forgot to gave me an encouragement for teaching tomorrow.
Well, here we go! Day 17 became my first day for teaching. This day I was entered 9-SJF Class and 9-BJHS Class. First section was 9-SJF Class and second section was 9-BJHS Class also Mam Esie join the class, she would be observed me in the back of the class in  how I taught the students and how to manage the students even she wrote a comment for me during I was teaching. We started by praying and then I explained to the class that I would started to taught them that day. I catch most of the students excited with that, so it made me more excited too. Then, I started the class by asked them to pray and also greeting the class.
Firstly I gave them the house rule of my class that was: (1) Pay attention on teacher; (2) Always asking; (3) In discussion group, you not allowed to do it individually; (4) Read the book at home. And I explained the rules to the students. There were a reason why I gave them the rules, it’s coming when I was observed them in the first week. Like in my lesson plan, then I introduced the topic that I would teach them that is “Properties of Radicals” and also the important thing was let them know the learning objectives. In this case I just teach them about “The Product Rule of Radicals”. But before to the main topic, I recalled the past lesson so that would be made easier for the students to understand the the next topic. After sure of their understanding about the last lesson, then to started the main topic I asked the students to made group discussion to find the rule product of radicals. After that I explained to them more example of applying the rule. Then after they understood about the rule, I tried to gave them exercise and let them answer it on the board. In the case of SJF Class they were very active of participated on answering the questions and I really appreciated it and so proud of it. In BJHS class I just could explained the rule and gave them some example and the plan of gave them exercises was became an assignment for them. In both of the class I was careless of time, I didn’t realized the time was over so I was late dismiss the class. It was quite hard to manage the time.
First section of teaching in 9-SJF Class

Discussion Group 9-SJF Class
Discussion Group in 9-BJHS Class


Actually, I was planned to taught in three classes this day, the other one was 9-SCB Class. But the schedule not supported me, they have to finished the previous lesson. Then I thought that I would taught them for the next day. The end of this day, Mam Esie showed me the comment that she had wrote and explained me about my weakness and gave me an advice about the first time I came to the class I have to checked the attendance, yeah I was forgot about that but she still admired me about how I teaching this day. J J I am so happy for my first teaching day.

This is the comment of Mam Esie wrote about my first teaching day in 9-BJHS Class:


Hoaahhhhhh, Now Day 18 that became my second day of teaching day. The last night before this day, I was prepared the things that I would teach in the class so it would made me more ready when teaching. Today I was taught 9-SJF Class, 9-BMHS Class and 9-FAB Class. In case 9-BJHS and 9-SCB Class, they were skip the class because of they have to support their friend that had competition. That was also surprised me, I never found if one of the students have competition then the other classmates would be the supporter for her/him. Same like previous day, I started the class by praying, greeting, and not forgot to checked the attendance also asked them to arranged their chair if  the class seems like a mess.
In SJF class, I was continue the lesson in how they simplifying the non-perfect square root used the product rule of radicals because of the first day I explained about in how simplifying the perfect square root case used the rule. But before it, I recalled the lesson of previous day by asking them orally then trigger them to be active and answer the question and after that I gave them individual exercise of the perfect square root case and insert one question of non perfect square root. I did it on purpose to saw how they would solve it, that they could or not.
When I walked around meanwhile the students answer it. I saw some students could answer the non-perfect square case but there were students still felt confused of the perfect square case. When I walked around, I also gave the explanation to the student who asking and to the student that I thought seem like still did not understood. Then after the time over, I asked some student to raised their hand to answer it on the board, but when I saw there were always the same student that answer it on the board then I decided to point some student to answer it and told to the students gave chance to the other students.
After the students answer it on the board then we checked together and I gave the clarification whether it was correct or wrong answer. Then when arrived to the non perfect square root question, I was asked them how the got the answer. Some of students know and the others were not, then I explained it. So that, we’re came in to the next lesson of simplifying the non-perfect square root. Because of the time, I just could explain little bit about the non-perfect square root by gave them some examples then I asked them to have more exercises at home.
For 9-BMHS Class, I was do the same thing like 9-SJF Class. Because of the previous day Mam Esie already explained about the product rule of radicals then now they need exercises of simplifying the radicals form by used the product rule. My target was the same like in SJF Class that was could explained the non-perfect square root. But unfortunately I couldn’t made it. I just could gave them exercise that became assignment. But my mentor said that it was fine, it was better to made them more understand about the previous lesson than to made them move to the next lesson but the still did not got it. So I was relieved that time. I’ll tried to be better in the next day.
In the case of 9-FAB Class, I teach them all over again like the first day I did. Because this the first time they move to the next lesson. So I introduced the topic and also the objectives and I made it till the exercise Day 1 in my lesson plan, but I couldn’t checked and discuss it with the students together so then I asked them to looking at it more at home whether their answers wrong or right and we’ll checked together in the next meeting.
First Day Teaching of FAB: Discussion Group

Point some students to answer the exercise on the board 

Gave the Clarification

The end of my second day teaching, the end of my third week. Mam Esie did not forgot to gave me her comment of my teaching today, I knew I’m still lack of many things but she said I always did a good thing and have good attitude. You know? My mentor good at encourage someone, it made me more motivated.
The Comment of my mentor in second day teaching in 9-SJF Class



The Comment of my mentor in second day teaching in 9-BMHS Class

Actually the next day will be the end of my third week, but tomorrow would be celebration of Buwan Ng Wika. It’s mean celebration of Filipino month (Philippines Language). And the last period the students would skip the class because of prepared the things for tomorrow. The decorated their class and practice of performance they would have in the next day. Then Mam Esie let me join her class to helped the students prepared, I had so much fun that day even I was so tired because teaching but that moment erased my tiring J.
This was the moment during I helped the students prepared of the Buwan Ng Wika for the next day.






Curious about Buwan Ng Wika???? Wait of my next post !!! J

Comments