Observing Week : Day 1 "First Impression"

Dr. Rita May P. Tagalog , EdD, 2 Student Teacher from UNILA (Adit and Ivanna), Nia Audina Zein and Me from UNRAM, Mrs. Mariter Malonjao


August 13th, 2018

The day of my first day excute SEAMEO program in Philippines. At that time, I did observation in University of San Carlos - Basic Education Department. Firstly Dr. Rita would like us to met the principal at 2 pm but unfortunately we couldn’t make it because the principle had other agenda. So, Dr. Rita took us to meet the Chair Teacher Education Department and Student Teaching Coordinator for the local Practicumers, Mrs. Mariter Malonjao. And Dr. Rita then took us to meet our mentor who would lead us how to teach and the other things that related with this program. And Mrs. Maria Esie B. Bacus would be my mentor.
When I met her, she was very welcoming me and lead me nicely. She asked me to called her Mam Esie. Firstly she was explain to me what will I do based on SEAMEO objects and she told me what will she do in the class (for this day), the class that I would handle, and then she let me know how the the lesson plan look like also the topic that she will teach in the class. I got 9th graders to do the program. So there were 7 class of 9th grade in Basic Education of San Carlos University but my mentor just control for 5 class and she let me followed her to do my observation wherever class I wanted. 
In my first observation, I could join the last period that day. So I followed Mam Esie to entered 9-SCB class. When we came in to the class, they greeting the teacher also greeting me so well. My other impression of this school was the facilities in the class, there were fan, AC, water dispenser, tv, etc. That must be support them when studying in the class. My first impression of the education system here was that for one day they had 8 subjects and they started it at 7.40 am till 4.50 pm. It must be hard for the students also for the teachers, but they still enjoyed all the subjects. Other things that made me impressed was for 9th grade, the subject of they had learn was Mapeh (Music, Arts, Physical Education, and Health), CIF (Religion), English (British-American Literature), Science, Math, Filipino, TLE (Technology and Livelihood Education), Economics. For Math, Science, English, TLE, and Economics they learn it everyday meanwhile the other subjects they had learn it till Thursday. They learn for an hour for each subject. Amazing system, and it quite different with education system in Indonesia.

When they began the class, they did common tradition that was pray before studying and leaded by the mayor of the class. Because this was the day of the first meeting for the student and the teacher after the break school that was summer holiday, Mam Esie would introduce herself as their math teacher. Then she also let the student introduced themselves. Mam Esie kindly let me to introduce myself in front of the students. It was really nice to saw the students’ responses me when I introduced Myself, some of them were just smile and other students were wondering who I was and what I was doing in their class but I thought that was positive reaction.

Fisrt day in 9-SCB class. Introduction Section

I saw unique teaching strategy of Mam Esie, she gave the student format about what they will talking about when they introduced themselves. The first, they had to mention their name and mention about their perfomance in math subject for last year. the second, she asked them to rate their effort in learning maths from 1-10. the third, she asked the students to mention what their own difficulties in learning math and what part they like about math. lastly, she asked them to mention what the ways to help them in learning math. Mam Esie said that it was one of the way to know  the students’ personality so that we would know how to  teach  and what the strategy to teach the student  in which they were affected to the students’ scores. I think  that it was  unique strategy and I may not find the teacher who did the way before teaching the students especially in Indonesia, it might could be a reference for me to do more good strategy to teach the students. So for this meeting just for to know each other between the teacher and the students.Then to close the class for this day the student also prayed together like they began.
I’m not patient to met other class in the next day.

Comments